Monday, 9 January 2012

Your Shot of Espresso in a Cupcake


Hey guys! I'm sure my coffee infused friends will tell you that there is nothing more tempting in the morning than a cup of creamy Joe, and I don't mean "that" Joe you know from the office...I mean coffee. I'm not a big coffee drinker myself because I never understood the caffeine "hype" - for me the shaking should NOT be considered as an inevitable consequence and not only does it not wake me up, it makes me feel ever more groggy and tired. 

However, in spite of this, I decided to make some cupcakes with the taste of "Starbucks" as everyone around me are such coffee enthusiasts, and I must admit that they are delicious (not to blow my own horn or anything). So I thought to myself, I could keep these to myself but where would be the fun in that? If you love your coffee and cake, this is one of the musts.

What you'll need





This recipe serves 12...hopefully

- 60g Butter
- 180g (6oz) Self Raising Flour (of course you can use plain flour, if so then also add about        2 teaspoons of baking powder)
- 180g (6oz) Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 LARGE egg
- 180ml (6 floz) Semi-skimmed Milk
- 2 heaped teaspoons of instant espresso powder
- A pinch of salt

Ok, now that you have that, you'll need to...

- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- Warm the milk just enough to dissolve the espresso powder into and put aside 
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (for about 3 minutes)
- Sift the flour and salt into the butter mixture and beat well to a crumb consistency
- Lightly beat in the egg
- Little by little add the espresso milk, beating in between until a smooth velvet consistency.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin cases filling it to 3/4 of the way and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Transfer on to wire rack to cool


And now for the buttercream....
- 120g (4oz) butter or vegetable shortening like Trex
- 40ml (1.5floz) Semi-skimmed milk
- 1tspn Instant espresso powder (or more if you prefer a stronger coffee taste)
- 350g (12oz) Confectioners sugar


- Warm the milk just enough for the espresso powder to dissolve
- Beat the butter and gradually add the sugar and milk alternatively until you achieve a smooth, thick and creamy consistency.


ENJOY!

Dinx
xoxo

6 comments:

  1. The cupcakes look divine! The icing looks soft as a cloud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos! Such a great way to showcase your foods and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum these sound amazing! im more a tea drinker but coffee cupcakes I could def do! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys =D Glad you like them. Don't worry Vicki, I've made tea ones as well which I'm going to putting on very shortly

    ReplyDelete